In this article, a list of verbs that start with Z will be put before you so that you may know how verbs are used to carry out actions. Before we do go into the details of verbs beginning with Z, we are going to share with you some amazing facts about the letter Z that you would have never heard before.
Z finishes up the alphabet at number 26. But, that’s not the only insult this letter suffers! Z’s history includes a time when it was so infrequently used that it was removed from the alphabet altogether. The Greek “zeta” is the origin of the letter Z. Around 300 BC, the Roman Censor Appius Claudius Caecus removed Z from the alphabet. His justification was that Z had become archaic.
Two hundred years later Z was reintroduced to the Latin alphabet. These days Z is the most rarely used letter in the alphabet; however, American English uses it more often than British English. Just like the unique history of letter Z, the verbs that start with Z we are going to share with you have peculiar history and properties.
Some of the action words starting with Z given in this article, have become obsolete while a few have been taken from the Australian English and Singapore English. Let us now analyze these verbs that start with Z.
Common Verbs That Start with Z
Every sentence needs at least one verb. If there’s no verb, it’s an incomplete sentence. Look at the verbs in the list of verbs starting with Z given below. How many of these verbs that start with Z do you use in your daily life routine?
- Definition: (of a camera or user) change smoothly from a long shot to a close-up or vice versa
- Synonyms: focus, close in, target
- Example: The camera zoomed in for a close-up of his face.
- Definition: have or move along in a zigzag course
- Synonyms: move, bend, snake
- Example: The road zigzagged through the mountains.
- Definition: to get rid of or kill something or someone, especially intentionally
- Synonyms: kill, terminate
- Example: They have the kind of weapons that can zap the enemy from thousands of miles away.
- Definition: to move in one of the two directions followed in a zigzag course
- Synonyms: drift, curve
- Example: He zigged when he should have zagged.
- Definition: make a sharp change of direction
- Synonyms: turn, snake
- Example: A long path zigged and zagged through the woods.
- Definition: attack or criticize sharply
- Synonyms: blame, castigate, censure
- Example: He zinged the budget deal in interviews with journalists.
- Definition: to get hit with something
- Synonyms: hit, bash, smack
- Example: Starc’s bouncer zotted Ahmed Shehzad on his forehead.
- Definition: to kill someone
- Synonyms: exterminate, assassinate
- Example: Jack got zotzed by the Castilian Gang.
- Definition: to percolate, trickle, or ooze, as water through a crack
- Synonyms: leak, dribble
- Example: Rain water is ziggering from the roof.
- Definition: to move swiftly
- Synonyms: go, proceed
- Example: On Saturday night, we zuzzed to the bar nearby.
- Definition: to zigzag; to move with sharp alternating turns
- Synonyms: turn, bend
- Example: They had to zed their vehicle on the Babusar Top road.
- Definition: to smell
- Synonyms: sniff, scent
- Example: I think I can zin something burning.
- Definition: move at high speed
- Synonyms: speed, hasten
- Example: A tiger zipped past us in the jungle.
- Definition: fasten with a zip
- Synonyms: fasten, secure
- Example: Zipper up your swimsuit before diving into the pool.
- Definition: adjust (an instrument) to zero
- Synonyms: tune, adjust
- Example: Zero the counter when the tape has rewound.
Positive Verbs That Start with Z
There are a number of verbs that carry and spread positivity. Following are some of the positive verbs that start with Z. You might be seeing some of these verbs starting with Z for the first time, so pay close attention while learning them.
- Definition: to blow like a Zephyrus (the Greek god of the west wind)
- Synonyms: breeze, puff
- Example: Corn flowers are zephyring in the wind.
- Definition: make more exciting, lively, or attractive
- Synonyms: liven, furnish
- Example: A bag is a cool and economical thing to zhuzh up any outfit.
- Definition: to engage in sports in a zorb ball (a large transparent ball containing an inner capsule)
- Synonyms: bowl, drive
- Example: Jacky has been zorbing the ball with great precision.
- Definition: to make something more interesting or attractive by changing it slightly
- Synonyms: furnish, decorate
- Example: Olivia zhooshed up her outfit, powdered her face, and left for the party.
- Definition: to play a musical instrument consisting of a flat wooden sound box with numerous strings stretched across it
- Synonyms: fiddle, fidget
- Example: Viola zithers beautifully.
- Definition: divide into or assign to zones
- Synonyms: divide, partition
- Example: The Qadaffi Cricket Stadium ground has been zoned into 8 different sized enclosures.
- Definition: to remove a piece of the peel of a citrus fruit
- Synonyms: cut, grate
- Example: Maria is zesting the oranges.
- Definition: cook or be cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan
- Synonyms: boil, cook
- Example: Sabrina is zoutching a fish in olive oil.
- Definition: to adapt to the style of the French writer Émile Zola
- Synonyms: adapt, conform
- Example: If you want to raise the level of your work you must zolaize it.
- Definition: to ride a cable or rope stretched between two points of different heights, down which a person slides for amusement
- Synonyms: dangle, ride
- Example: Last time we were in Dubai, we ziplined for three straight days.
- Definition: to attach or fasten (someone or something) to an object with a zip tie
- Synonyms: attach, fasten
- Example: Mum has zip-tied by school bag.
- Definition: (onomatopoeic) to sleep
- Synonyms: doze, rest
- Example: Jordan zzzed in the back of his car.
Verbs That Start with Z to Describe a Person
Verbs are words that represent actions that are both external such as run, jump, work etc. and internal such as love, think, consider etc. A list of verbs that start with Z to describe a person is given below. Let’s jump into this mesmerizing list of verbs that start with Z to make ourselves familiar with it.
- Definition: hit or strike
- Synonyms: smack, hit
- Example: Charley zonked me on the face.
- Definition: to dance to zouk music (an exuberant style of popular music combining Caribbean and Western elements and having a fast heavy beat)
- Synonyms: dance, whirl
- Example: Aliya zouks with such grace.
- Definition: make a whizzing or buzzing sound
- Synonyms: whiz, buzz
- Example: The banger started zizzing furiously.
- Definition: imitate (someone or their actions or words), especially in order to entertain or ridicule
- Synonyms: imitate, mock
- Example: Jahangir will be zanying his mate Justin in the upcoming play.
- Definition: to sleep or nap
- Synonyms: doze, rest
- Example: Joanna is zeeing in her room.
- Definition: (of a piece of music or musical style) to make into zouk music, or to adapt to a zouk-like sound
- Synonyms: sing, play, lyricize
- Example: Michael has been zoukifying for the last two years.
- Definition: to make a humming, buzzing, or droning sound
- Synonyms: hum, buzz
- Example: Joey was zooning on purpose to make fun of his friends.
- Definition: to turn a person into a zombie
- Synonyms: transform, change
- Example: Rick Grimes was zombified in the season “The Walking Dead”.
- Definition: to adapt to the Zulu culture or language
- Synonyms: transform, convert
- Example: Philip was zuluized when he reached Zulu lands.
- Definition: to convert to Zionism
- Synonyms: transform, reform
- Example: The Israeli government is trying to zionise Jerusalem and its people.
- Definition: to conceive of or symbolize or represent (a deity or supernatural being) as an animal zoomorphizing their clan founder as a spirit bear so that bears became sacred to the clan
- Synonyms: attribute, impute
- Example: Justin, the tribal chief of the Sindhi people was zoomorphized as a djinn.
- Definition: to increase the Zionistic nature of
- Synonyms: convert, transform
- Example: Israelis want to zionify the Palestinian people living in Jerusalem.
- Definition: to engage in the study of zoology
- Synonyms: study, learn
- Example: Rabail is zoologizing in the Gomal University.
More Verbs That Start with Z
Following are some more verbs starting with Z. Although we have listed 50+ verbs beginning with Z in this article, if you know any more of them you can add them to these given categories.
- Definition: to rate at a VAT level of zero
- Synonyms: zero, zeroize
- Example: If a builder is given the entire contract, he can zero-rate the VAT.
- Definition: feed (cattle) with cut grass brought to them instead of putting them out to pasture
- Synonyms: feed, graze
- Example: Parvez zero-grazes his cows and buffaloes in the winter season.
- Definition: to coat with zinc
- Synonyms: cover, galvanize
- Example: To save it from rust, our jeep’s engine has been zincified.
- Definition: to take refuge within a zeriba
- Synonyms: shelter, harbor
- Example: I zeribaed with my friends on the top of the mountain when it started to pour.
- Definition: to halt enemy’s entrance by building an enclosure of bushes or stakes protecting a campsite or village
- Synonyms: terminate, halt, stop
- Example: Indonesian army zaribaed their village.
- Definition: to set, reset or initialize something (especially a variable or parameter) to zero
- Synonyms: load, set
- Example: A chip has the ability to zeroize itself even after its power supply has been crippled.
- Definition: to make the hissing sound characteristic of frying fat
- Synonyms: wheeze, whir
- Example: The meat is zizzling in the frying pan.
- Definition: to convert into a zeolite
- Synonyms: convert, transform
- Example: William is zeolitizing Cooper and Gold molecules in the lab.
- Definition: to attack an opponent with a large swarm of units before they have been able to build sufficient defenses
- Synonyms: ambush, besiege
- Example: Explorers zerged the Scottish clans last Sunday.
- Definition: beautify or upgrade something, usually by adding components, to make it showy or impressive
- Synonyms: rework, tweak
- Example: I got my car zhnged from the mechanic.
- Definition: to coat with zinc
- Synonyms: coat, enclose
- Example: The silencer of my motorbike has been zinced.
- Definition: to coat with zirconium
- Synonyms: galvanize, coat
- Example: Our factory has zirconiated its gas turbines.
- Definition: to play the music of southern Louisiana that combines French dance melodies with Caribbean music
- Synonyms: sing, play
- Example: Jack knows how to zydeco gracefully.
Verbs That Start with Z – Full List (54 Words)
The list of verbs that start with Z provided below includes all of the verbs described above. This list will help you recollect your thoughts about verbs we have learned in this article.
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with Z
Thank you for going through this article on verbs starting with Z. The first thing you can do after finishing this article is that you can use these verbs that start with Z to carry out actions in your own life. Putting these verbs into practice will undoubtedly help you memorize them more effectively.
As Z is the twenty-sixth and final letter of the modern English alphabet and it is one of the least used one, we often take it for granted. Most of us lack the vocabulary items starting with Z because these are never on our priority list, especially verbs beginning with Z.
You can be the one to break this trend. We have done our part and have shared with you an amazing list of verbs that start with Z. What you can do now is that you can share this article with your friends, classmates, coworkers and other people in your contact so that they may benefit from it. Ask them to share this article with their loved ones too.