In my 5th standard, I heard my English teacher saying that there aren’t many words starting with X, let alone verbs that start with X. From that time forward, I have read hundreds of books, articles, blogposts, and so on, but I never came across more than two or three verbs that start with X. I can only assume that will be the same case with you.
Although we are quite familiar with this fact yet we never explored the reason that why is it so? If you are familiar with the sound system (phonetic and phonology) of English language it will be very easy for you to get this idea. The lack of verbs beginning with X is due to the fact that X, as a consonant, does not have a distinguishing sound in the English language.
Each language has its own rules regarding what sounds can be used in that language, and how they can be put together. In English, the letter /x/ signifies two consonant sounds that might also be represented by /ks/.
According to English Phoneticians’ criteria, this sound sequence /ks/ is not a valid onset, as it does not occur at the beginning of a word, and so there aren’t many verbs that start with X.
Now that you know the reason for the lack of X verbs you must know this thing too that if you get hold of a bunch of action words that start with X, you will hugely benefit from it. By using them in your speech, writing, or in front of your friends and coworkers you will be able to sound both cool and knowledgeable.
Common Verbs That Start with X
Following are some X verbs that start with X that must be easy for you to learn because they denote actions that are of much simpler nature. Try and insert these verbs starting with X into your daily life speech.
- Definition: to cancel something
- Synonyms: wipe out, cancel
- Example: Noah xinged out a lot of stuff from his wishlist.
- Definition: to copy a document using the Xerox
- Synonyms: photocopy, reprint
- Example: Jimmy, will you please xerox this paper for me?
- Definition: to copy something xerographically
- Synonyms: copy, duplicate
- Example: Doctor said to his assistant that he should go and xerocopy this document for him.
- Definition: to expose to radiation in the form of x-rays
- Synonyms: scatter, radiate
- Example: Our patient’s body cells were x-irradiated in the lab.
Positive Verbs That Start with X
Just like any other letter, there also exist some positive verbs that start with X. Explore these verbs starting with X to see it for yourself what positivity they bring to the table.
- Definition: to sail in a small three-masted Mediterranean sailing ship with lateen and square sails
- Example: They are xebecing in the River Kunhar.
- Definition: to predict the future using wood
- Synonyms: predetermine, anticipate
- Example: Liam xylomanced in order to know about his beloved’s fate.
- Definition: cultivate an area as a xeriscape
- Synonyms: landscape, garden
- Example: Ben removed the grass along the sidewalk and xeriscaped it.
- Definition: to print a design from a wood engraving
- Synonyms: engrave, chisel
- Example: I heard that Lucas has been xylographing in the woods.
- Definition: to play a xylophone
- Synonyms: play, perform
- Example: James is xylophoning in his room.
Verbs That Start with X to Describe a Person
In English language there are no verbs that start with X to describe a person. The verbs that start with X given in the list below describe acts that are either performed on a person or the ones carried out by a person.
- Definition: to give kisses and hugs.
- Synonyms: love, embrace
- Example: He xoed to his darling old friend.
- Definition: to take an x-ray of something
- Synonyms: radiograph, radiogram
- Example: The laboratorian x-rayed my chest.
- Definition: to transplant an organ, tissue, or cells of one specie to another
- Synonyms: graft, transplant
- Example: Benjamin xenografted human prostate cancer cells into a mice.
- Definition: to cross out something with letter X
- Synonyms: remove, delete
- Example: Henry has asked me to X-out the names of the people who aren’t going to come to the event.
- Definition: to transfer from one person to another
- Synonyms: consign, convey
- Example: Will you please xfer my views to the headmaster?
More Verbs That Start with X
Following are some more verbs starting with X. These verbs beginning with X are not used a lot in our daily life talks and writings because they belong to the field of biological science, chemical science and computer science.
- Definition: to cross out or delete something
- Synonyms: cross, remove, delete
- Example: I will have to X the mistake you made in your application.
- Definition: to convert into a xanthate
- Synonyms: combine, amalgamate, mix
- Example: Olivia has been xanthating the chemicals in the laboratory.
- Definition: to transplant biological matter between species
- Synonyms: transplant, graft
- Example: Kazim always says that xenotransplanting human tumor cells into a mice is a tiresome job.
- Definition: to encode a file using xxencoding
- Synonyms: codify, code
- Example: Mohib is xxencoding all the data using Java.
- Definition: to attach a xylosyl moiety to a molecule
- Synonyms: amalgamate, mingle
- Example: Laboratorian is xyloslating the hydrogen and carbon molecules.
Verbs That Start with X – Full List (22 Words)
It is time for us to revise what we went through in this article. The following list of verbs that start with X contains all the verbs we have learnt in this article.
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with X
In this article you have learned 20 verbs that start with X. If you try and find more verbs that start with X either online or from any book on vocabulary it is highly doubtful that you would find any.
The reason for that has been already explained at the start of the article. Verbs starting with X are very rare not just in English language but many others as well.
This is why it is requested that you put in maximum efforts in learning these verbs beginning with X. The propagation of knowledge is considered a good, even sacred thing. You must try and suggest this article to your friends, classmates, and coworkers, so that they may benefit from it as well.