I despise the tired rhetoric of ‘New Year, new you’. However, I am down with the idea of ‘New Year, new wardrobe’. At least to some degree (you know I don’t feel comfortable pushing the fast fashion cycle that promotes shopping in excess). And here are 9 style buys worth looking out for, this month. They’re sure to put a spring in your step as we trudge through one of the toughest months of the year…
1. Ruffle blouse by Ulla Johnson ~ Okay, so this ruffle blouse by Ulla Johnson may not be the most practical purchase you could make, this month. After all, those ruffles are unlikely to fit under coats and knitwear. But… it’s so pretty. And perfect to see you into spring, wouldn’t you agree?
2. Midnight in Paris sweatshirt by Warehouse ~ If you’re still in hibernation mode Warehouse’s “Midnight in Paris” sweatshirt is the perfect loungewear purchase. And you can easily dress it up with a pleated midi skirt and heeled ankle boots.
3. Silk hair ties (set of six) by Slip ~ Avoid tangles and breakage by investing in a set of Slip’s silk hair ties. The skinny, elasticated hair accessories were designed to prevent damage and hair creasing. Plus, they look great stacked up on your wrist!
4. Waterproof ankle boots by Sorel ~ Londoners got a nasty surprise last February and March when blizzard-like conditions hit the city. No one had the correct snow gear! So this winter plan ahead and invest in a stylish pair of warm, waterproof boots.
5. Button-down midi dress by Monsoon ~ Monsoon’s gingham midi dress was my favourite item of clothing in 2018. And this winter the design team have brought back the flattering silhouette in a jacquard print black design.
6. Chain-strap shoulder bag by H&M ~ Update your winter wardrobe with a few well-chosen accessories. This chain-strap handbag from H&M looks far more expensive than its £18.99 price tag suggests.
7. Crocodile effect belt by J.Crew ~ Fed up of looking like the Michelin Man in layers of chunky knits? Then start belting your knitwear at the waist. Search for vintage styles in charity shops and thrift stores or invest in brightly coloured, skinny designs like this J.Crew number.
8. Ski Ya Later T-shirt by Gant ~ I love Gant’s “Ski Ya Later” T-shirt – even though I have no plans to hit the slopes, this winter. I like the idea of layering it over a long-sleeved Breton stripe tee and pairing it with skinny jeans and practical boots.
9. ‘Maria’ skinny jeans by J Brand ~ If you’re hoping to make fewer but smarter clothing purchases throughout 2019 you can’t go wrong with a pair of J Brand’s high-waisted ‘Maria’ jeans. These are my favourite skinnies of all time, and the dark wash is super-flattering and timeless.
Which style buys are topping your wish list for January 2019?