There are plenty of irritating things about the tricky transeasonal period between winter and spring, and chapped lips rank high on the list. February’s cold and windy weather literally tore my pout to shreds, so March is going to be dedicated to beauty TLC. I need a swift recovery because the juicy SS15 lip colours will be dropping any day now, and we all know that bright lipstick worn over chapped lips is seriously icky!
Here are five simple ways to cure and prevent chapped lips – plus a sneaky look at my favourite lip balms…
5 Steps to Soft, Kissable Lips:
1. Do not lick your lips. You’d think it would help keep them moisturised, but it actually has the opposite effect and dehydrates lips further.
2. Use a gentle exfoliator to remove flakes of dry skin (even though it can be hard to resist the urger to bite or pick them off). Make an at-home remedy with sugar and honey or splash out on Charlotte Tilbury’s new Lip Love Scrub.
3. Swap your favourite lipstick or gloss for a tinted balm on cold, windy days. Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue in “Just Peachy” is constantly in my handbag and the Clinique Chubby Stick Baby Tint shades are great too.
4. Once your lips are looking healthy again, lock the moisture in with Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm. The beeswax works as a natural barrier.
5. Always apply a deeply-nourishing balm before bed so you wake up with smooth lips. I love Aerin’s Rose Lip Conditioner. It’s expensive but lasts for ages!
Shop Image 1: Charlotte Tilbury Lip Magic Balm | Eve Lom Kiss Mix | Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm | Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment | Aerin Rose Lip Balm | Maybelline Baby Lips Dr. Rescue | Triwa watch | Claire’s Necklace | Habitat Storage c/o Birchbox