Packing is probably one of my least favourite activities. And planning what to take to New York is an extra challenge because the weather is so unpredictable. I had to wrap up in a winter coat and beanie hat throughout my visit in late-April, but if you’re heading to the Big Apple this summer you can pretty much guarantee high temperatures. So here are 10 essentials that should be in every New York-bound suitcase…
1. An elegant day-to-night top, like this Whistles design, to elevate the more casual pieces in your suitcase, like skinny jeans and denim shorts.
2. Stylish sneakers for walking up and down Manhattan. I favour New Balance.
3. A selection of simple midi dresses in jersey or silk (try this khaki style from 3.1 Phillip Lim). They won’t take up much room in your suitcase and are easy to dress up or down.
4. High-rise denim shorts to wear with cotton shirts and printed camisoles. These Madewell shorts are the perfect length, sitting just above mid-thigh level.
5. A captivating novel to read on the Subway or over a cup of Stumptown Coffee. I’m about to start Sunday’s on the Phone to Monday, by New Yorker Christine Reilly.
6. If you’re out for the best part of the day you’ll need a portable phone charger to keep your battery topped up. Try this mophie iPhone charging case. Expensive, but insanely practical.
7. This Elizabeth and James bucket bag is the perfect style for New York. It’s seriously chic, goes with everything and has interior pockets to keep all of your valuables safe.
8. A biker jacket to wear on mild evenings. Avoid black leather, however, and opt for a light and summery style, like this suede Topshop design.
9. Ray-Ban sunglasses (like the classic Wayfarer), because they never go out of style.
What are your New York summer style essentials? Leave a comment below with your packing list if you care to share…