Happy New Year! I hope you’ve all had a wonderful start to 2019.
As you probably know, I’m a huge fan of Gretchen Rubin, the bestselling author behind The Happiness Project. I listen to her podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin every week, without fail (usually when I’m cooking dinner). And Monica and I constantly refer to her work in episodes of Let’s Discuss (we’re such fangirls).
An alternative to New Year’s Resolutions
Last January Gretchen Rubin introduced the “18 for 2018” list, which acted as an alternative to New Year’s resolutions. As the name suggests, it was a list of 18 things – big and small – that she wanted to accomplish throughout the year.
I absolutely loved the idea, because instead of focusing on the negative (which New Year’s resolutions tend to do) it leaned towards the positive. So less “lose 15 pounds” and more “plan a weekend break to Amsterdam”. It also provided a chance to add smaller goals into the mix too, such as “purchase a classic, black handbag”.
This year I’ve created a “19 for 2019” list, and I’m sharing it in full below. There are a few big ticket items on my list, along with more practical, bitesized tasks (like getting my beloved Isabel Marant Dicker boots re-heeled; something I put off in 2018).
My 19 for 2019 list
1. Learn how to do Shirshasana pose (a headstand) in yoga
2. Read between 40-50 books throughout the year
3. Travel to at least two new destinations in 2019
4. Date offline more, rather than relying on apps
5. Take a work trip to New York with Monica
6. Get my Isabel Marant Dicker boots re-heeled
7. Treat the hyperpigmentation around my mouth
8. Learn how to do wheel pose in yoga
9. Sort out some extra storage for my flat
10. Go on a yoga retreat
11. Get a mirror for my living room
12. Spend less time obsessing over Instagram numbers
13. See a physiotherapist about my permanently-tight hamstrings
14. Take more holiday time throughout the year
15. Improve my photography and photo editing skills (possibly upgrade camera equipment)
16. Continue learning Spanish
17. Pour more love and energy into the blog again
18. Create a recurring structure for my work-week so that I can manage my time more effectively
19. Dedicate time once a month to brainstorm and think through other creative endeavours outside of the blogging world
Style Notes: Blazer by M&S (past season – similar here) | Top by Oasis (past season) | Short necklace by Astley Clarke (gift) | Long pendant necklace by Monica Vinader | Ring stack by Pandora and Monica Vinader | Signet ring by Astley Clarke (gift) | Silver bracelet by Georg Jensen (gift) | Rose gold bangle by Monica Vinader (gift) | Hoop earrings by Olivia Burton (gift) | Mug by West Elm | Blanket on chair by House of Fraser
Do you plan to make a 19 for 2019 list? Feel free to share a few of the targets making it onto your list, this year, in the comments section below. I’d love to hear what you’re aiming to achieve – whether it’s a big goal or a smaller task that has been overlooked up until now…
Photos by Kylie Eyra