Can you believe it’s almost the end of August, and that in less than a week New York Fashion Week will kick off again? The summer has just flown by! And before we start thinking about the Spring 2015 collections (ahhh!) here’s a look back at my top ten August obsessions – from the ’90s TV show I can’t stop watching to my favourite new fragrance…
1. Aerin Amber Musk: As you know, I had the pleasure of meeting Aerin Lauder in July, and everyone who attended her fragrance event got to select a perfume to take away with them. Evening Rose is already part of my collection, so I went for my second favourite Aerin scent: Amber Musk. And do you know what? After wearing it non-stop throughout August it’s jumped up into first place. It’s warm, velvety and super sexy! Definitely check it out…
2. ER: I geek out BIG time over ER. I discovered the show when the final series was on TV, and I got so hooked that I watched all 15 seasons (that’s 332 episodes) in the space of 10 months. How I managed to get any of my university work done during this period is a complete mystery… But anyway, because Nashville, The Good Wife and co are currently on break I’ve been watching ER boxsets all month. Personally I think seasons 6 through to 10 are the very best, and at the moment I’m working my way through series 7. If you’ve never watched the medical drama you really are missing a treat – it’s probably the best written TV show ever!
3. Depop: For some reason I’ve never been able to master the art of eBay shopping - or selling. But almost all of my friends are now using Depop, and they encouraged me to try it too. The free smartphone App is super-easy to use, as it’s set up in a similar style to Instagram. You simply take a photo of the item you want to sell, add a description, set a price and postage fee, then place it in your shop. It takes about 30 seconds. If you’re also using the App you can find me by searching for “cocosteaparty”.
4. Estée Lauder Sumptuous Extreme Waterproof Mascara: If I had to describe my eyelashes I would say they’re fairly underwhelming. They’re not short and stumpy, thankfully, but they also don’t really “pop”, even with mascara. So when random people suddenly started complimenting my lashes I knew something was going on – I was either being Punk’d or Estée Lauder’s Sumptuous Extreme Waterproof Mascara has magical powers. Luckily it turned out to be the latter. This formula manages to curl, lengthen and lift all at once. It’s truly amazing…
5. Urban Outfitters Rug: Did you know Urban Outfitters sold homeware? I had no idea, and was amazed to discover their selection of rugs this month. I now have their black zig zag rug in my bedroom and it’s totally transformed the room. At £35 it’s a great way to copy Kourtney Kardashian’s print-tastic interior style without spending a fortune. See the full selection of Urban Outfitters rugs here.
6. Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush: I’m sure you’ve spotted adverts for Clinique’s new cleansing brush just about everywhere this month. It’s a big launch for them, as it was in development for five years! I’ve been using it since its release, and although I haven’t made it part of my daily routine yet I love how gentle it is. There are even special bristles which help you get right into the T-zone, where dirt usually hides. And you can even use it in the shower, because it’s completely waterproof. Find them at Sephora and John Lewis.
7. Alexander McQueen Skull Scarf: Remember when McQueen skull scarves were like the coolest things ever? Well now that the temperature has started to drop I’ve been wearing mine again. It makes me feel like Nicole Richie circa 2007 (minus the DUI). And it looks great paired with my khaki blanket knit from ASOS.
8. The Fashion Book: The Fashion Book – a 500+ page tome that profiles the industry’s most important influencers – received a update this month. The list of icons, designers and taste-makers has expanded to include Mary Katrantzou, Victoria Beckham, Isabel Marant, Natalie Massenet, Katie Grand, Christopher Kane and many more. It’s a must-have for anyone learning about fashion, but also acts as a nice reference for those who already know their stuff!
9. This Works In Transit Skin Defence SPF30: Like Victoria Beckham, I swear by This Works’ In Transit Camera Close-Up moisturiser/primer. However, it doesn’t include any sun protection, so throughout August I’ve been using their In Transit Skin Defence SPF30 instead. It’s not quite the same - the formula doesn’t have the magical skin-smoothing effects of Camera Close-Up - but if you’re heading out into the sun it’s a must-have.
10. Triangl Bikini: Just like Chanel espadrilles and Céline’s mini luggage tote, Triangl swimwear is a bit of a fashion blogger cliché. But I’m happy to play to stereotype when their bikinis look this good. I wore the ‘Elly Featherstone’ neoprene bandeau for the first time when I took a spa break this month, and the fit and quality is absolutely amazing. I’ll definitely be investing in more Triangl swimwear designs when I finally take a proper vacation!
And now it’s your turn… What are your August obsessions? Leave a comment and let me know.
Photos taken using the Olympus Pen E-P5. Coco’s Tea Party is a UK ambassador for Olympus.