The weekend is in sight, and it’s not just any weekend – it’s my birthday weekend! I plan to celebrate with Solange’s EP True on repeat (it makes me feel like the sun is shining, even when it’s not) and a lot of chocolate cake. Here are seven fun things to do this weekend. Try and fit them all in if you don’t already have plans… Enjoy!
1. Listen to Solange Knowles’ True on repeat… It’s a challenge not to feel completely miserable in this weather, but Solange’s latest album, True, definitely helps keep the spirits high. Slip on a pair of your favourite heels, hit the ‘repeat’ button and don’t look out the window, whatever you do. It will kill your buzz! If you haven’t already downloaded the EP you can listen for free online HERE.
2. Paint your nails in rainbow shades… The skies may be grey, but your manicure should still reflect the season. I’m currently wearing an electric blue nail polish by Leighton Denny, but am tempted to go for a pretty rainbow mani over the weekend. Go for pastels, jewel tones of brights – it really doesn’t matter, as long as it’s colourful!
3. Watch the latest Great Gatsby Trailer… The Great Gatsby premieres at the Cannes Film Festival, next month, and yesterday a new trailer was released. Originally I wasn’t really feeling Carey Mulligan in the role of Daisy Buchanan, but the latest ad looks AMAZING, and I now can’t wait to see the movie. The soundtrack is sounding brilliant too, featuring Florence and the Machine, Lana Del Rey, and Beyonce and Andre 3000′s version of ‘Back to Black‘. Watch it now:
4. Make floral ice cubes… If you’re entertaining friends this weekend why not jazz up your drinks with pretty floral ice cubes? They require little skill to make – just be careful which flowers you use. According to Martha Stewart, “use only edible flowers, such as orchids, nasturtiums, pansies, and snapdragons, that have been grown to be eaten (to ensure they haven’t been treated with chemicals).”
5. Spend an afternoon with Kate Hudson… ELLE UK’s May 2013 issue is on newsstands now, and I can’t wait to read Kate Hudson’s exclusive interview. Kate always comes across well in profiles, never complaining/whinging about fame and the paparazzi; and after seeing her at the ELLE Style Awards I’ve officially concluded she’s the coolest woman on the planet. I can’t wait to dig into the ten-page feature…
6. Visit Matches’ Denim Boutique… Matches has gone denim mad this week, dedicating their latest issue of The Style Report to the season’s hottest denim looks. If you’re looking for a stylish new pair of jeans make sure you check out their edit which includes everything from the reinvented boyfriend jean to the distressed skinny. The Lulu & Co vintage Levis are my personal favourites – make sure you check them out!
7. Buy a pair of animal print trainers… Put a spring in your step, this weekend, with a pair of animal print sneakers. The hot pair to own are the Kenzo x Vans pumps (available from Opening Ceremony), but for less than £40 you can’t go wrong with Topshop’s leopard print trainers. You can wear them with almost anything, they’re that cool!